http://www.makepovertyhistory.org The EPIC Journey: Time and Date Issues

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Time and Date Issues

Read this post below. It has some good thoughts that we can use in our discussion on Sunday. Do we need to be on Sunday?

I miss Church (pt 2) - "but I like my Sundays..."

Following on from the last post, I was chatting about this stuff with a friend last night who has also been spending a bit of time away from traditional church, and was also surprising herself by thinking about returning sometime.

And as much as I hate to admit it, one barrier between returning to 'normal' Church is that Sundays are just too damn precious and valuable! Now I hate how that sounds - as if anything were too valuable to give to God - but in this busy era that we live in, Sunday mornings are rare periods of quality time. Time to go out for breakfast with the family, go riding with friends, get up and do that study, reading or home project you've been putting off all week. And church can really wipe out over half of Sunday in most circumstances. Now perhaps if you're in a church you love with great relationships that might be a good thing, of course!

I also have to admit that I'm increasingly a fan of weeknight church. Both for these reasons but also because I feel that church on a weeknight actually more closely relates to and integrates with our normal lives, rather than creating a 'separate' space where you can almost live two distinct lives... on a weeknight people come to the gathering with the stories of the day, the emotions and stresses, and then their interaction with God and his people has to work with that and through that, which I think is a great thing, rather than creating an isolated and distinct space where little has to reflect the reality of our working lives.

I found it on the Breathing Space blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home